Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Knitting Summer Tops

So, I've been on a sweater knitting kick for the past year to year-and-a-half now. What I haven't found is the best sweater for my figure... an inverted hourglass HA! Big bust, big arms, big waist, big hips, big legs, short legs. But I'm not a rectangle as I do have some curves. So I decided to create my own empire waist sweater, which I already know that silhouette looks better on me than almost anything else.

As I've been knitting this summer top, I have been thinking about the next design I want to make. A top down ribbed summer top. It's a lot more math, but I think I can get it --- hope so anyway. I have a vision of it in this most gorgeous pink... and I found that pink, Fizzy Flamingo, by my friend, Kate, at Graphic Dyeworks.

In the meantime while I wait for that yarn, I am knitting on the empire waist top. I have a spreadsheet and pattern written up for 9 or 10 sizes, from 30-62 bust. I have tweaked and tweaked this entire pattern a dozen times over, so I am hoping once I get this top done, that makers will want to test the pattern for me and it doesn't have any stupid little errors in it.

This is what I have done so far. Lots of positive ease under the empire waistband, negative ease above it. (Or, the makers can choose to have positive ease above also.) I knit it up in 100% cotton for a cool summer top that I won't drown in, nor will I overflow it. This has been a whole new world for me - now I need to figure out bottom up sweaters. I have knit them, but can't wrap my head around designing them. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment